Solar Austin Seeks Part-Time Communication & Event Coordinator
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION:
Solar Austin’s mission is to accelerate the transition to clean renewable energy in Central Texas to build a healthy community and a strong local economy. Solar Austin is currently a 100% volunteer run organization. Solar Austin works with utilities (mostly Austin Energy) and decision makers to improve and expand solar programs and policies and works to educate the public through monthly happy hours with speakers, emails, social media and other events.
The Solar Austin Communication and Event Coordinator will work under the supervision of the President or another member of the Board. The Communication and Event Coordinator will take on many of the routine duties required to host monthly happy hour events as well as other administrative and research duties, as assigned.
We expect this position will require 20-30 hours of work per month, depending on what events and other activities we have planned.
- Attend monthly Solar Austin board meetings on the 3rd Wednesday of each month from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
- Coordinate and Attend monthly happy hours on the 4th Tuesday of each month from 5 to 8pm (including setup). Coordination includes:
- Speaker Coordination: working with Board Members to identify happy hour speakers, contacting and confirming speakers at least 6 weeks in advance, putting together short biographies, photos and a brief descriptions of speaker and topic.
- Event Marketing (at least 1 month in advance): creating an Eventbrite invitation for each event, posting happy hour information to the Solar Austin website, sending an email blast to the Solar Austin supporter list, creating event pages on Facebook and MeetUp, and effectively promoting all events on Facebook, Twitter, MeetUp and any other useful platforms and calendars.
- Event Management: Bring all needed materials to and from event and staff the sign-in table. Show people where to sign in; collect donations; be welcoming and answer questions (or direct questions to a board member).
- Manage sign-in sheets and petitions by adding contacts to Solar Austin database.
- Communications: Write regular bi-monthly blog posts on Solar Austin website. Share posts via the Solar Austin Facebook and Twitter accounts. Post daily updates to the Solar Austin Facebook and Twitter accounts.
- Assist with solar, utility, and other research as needed.
- Other administrative duties as assigned.
Education: High school diploma or GED required; some college work prefered
Knowledge: How to utilize social media to engage the public; some knowledge about solar energy and/or policy
Work Experience: Some previous professional experience required; experience putting on events and using social media professionally strongly desired
Skills: Excellent written and oral communication skills; well organized; good computer skills (experience with WordPress required; basic HTML beneficial, but not required); good social media skills (particularly Facebook and Twitter); graphic design and video skills valued, but not required
Capabilities: Self-motivated; organized; ability to work independently, desire to learn about and advance solar energy policies and programs
To apply, email email@example.com with your resume, cover letter, writing sample and social media samples.